Justin M. Head, DOBoard Certified Orthopedic Adult Reconstructive Surgeon
Justin M. Head, DO
Dr. Head specializes in hip and knee joint reconstruction utilizing minimally invasive approaches, muscle-sparing techniques, 3D imaging, and robotic-assisted techniques, including:
- Partial and total knee arthroplasty with Subvastus approach
- Minimally invasive total knee arthroplasty
- Robotic-assisted partial and total knee arthroplasty (MAKOPlasty)
- Direct Superior approach for total hip replacement
- Complex joint and soft tissue reconstruction of the hip and knee
- Revision hip and knee arthroplasty for failed total joints
- Complex pelvic reconstruction
- Periprosthetic fracture reconstruction
- Treatment of periprosthetic infection
- Outpatient total joint arthroplasty
About Justin M. Head, DO
Justin M. Head, DO is a fellowship trained surgeon specializing in hip and knee reconstruction, including total and partial knee replacement, total hip replacement with the direct superior approach, and revision hip and knee replacement. He utilizes minimally invasive approaches, muscle-sparing techniques, and the latest technology like 3D imaging and robotic-assisted surgery.
Dr. Head was born and raised in Middle Tennessee. He attended Middle Tennessee State University, where he earned both his Bachelor of Science in Biology and a Master of Science in Molecular Cell Biology, Summa Cum Laude. He and his wife were married just prior to his attending Lincoln Memorial University-DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, where he graduated in the top 10 of his class. He went on to complete an orthopedic surgery internship and residency at Genesys Regional Medical Center.
Following residency, he completed two simultaneous fellowships: Adult Hip and Knee Reconstruction at the Hedley Orthopedic Institute and Orthopedic Surgery Fellow at the Carl T. Hayden Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Phoenix, Arizona. Dr. Head has performed over 1,000 robotic-assisted partial and total joint surgeries and helped return quality of life to and relieve pain for many patients. Dr Head’s approach to joint replacement is minimally invasive and muscle-sparing, which helps decrease postoperative pain and increase return of function. Dr. Head is proud to have helped bring this unique and revolutionary technology to the Central Savannah River Area.
Dr. Head enjoys spending time outdoors with his family. He is active in physical ﬁtness and enjoys cooking and eating! He has an extensive knowledge of popular ﬁlm, classic rock, and plays the drums.
- Bachelor of Science - Biology (Chemistry Minor): Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN
- Master of Science - Cell & Molecular Biology: Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN
- Doctorate of Osteopathic Medicine: DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, Harrogate, TN
- Orthopedic Surgery Internship & Residency: Genesys Regional Medical Center. Grand Blanc, MI
- Post-Graduate Fellowship: Carl T. Hayden Veteran Affairs Medical Center. Phoenix, AZ
- Adult Reconstruction Fellowship: Orthopedic Institute of the West, Phoenix, AZ
- Professional Society Memberships
- Sigma Sigma Phi – Honorary Osteopathic Service Fraternity
- Instructor Positions
- Chief Resident of Orthopedic Surgery – Genesys Regional Medical Center
- Clinical Faculty – Department of Osteopathic Surgical Subspecialties:Michigan State University
- Graduate Teaching Assistant – Department of Anatomy: DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, Harrogate, TN
- Anatomy Lab Cadaver Prosector – DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, Harrogate, TN
- Graduate Teaching Assistant. Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN
- Student Mentor and Academic Tutor. Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN